chocolate cake

 



Here are the steps to make this rich chocolate cake, along with a list of ingredients and instructions from a chocolate cake expert.

Step 1: The Flour Mix
Ingredients & Quantities:
All-purpose Flour: 1 and 3/4 cups
Granulated Sugar: 2 cups
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: 3/4 cup
Baking Powder: 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Baking Soda: 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Salt: 1 teaspoon

"Here’s where we start! I love to sift all my dry ingredients together to ensure there are no lumps in the cocoa and everything is perfectly combined. It’s the key to a tender crumb."



Step 2: The Liquid Batter
Ingredients & Quantities:
Large Eggs: 2 (room temperature)
Whole Milk: 1 cup
Vegetable Oil: 1/2 cup
Vanilla Extract: 2 teaspoons
(From Step 1): Sifted dry mix

"Now, the magic happens. I whisk the wet ingredients together first, then slowly add the sifted cocoa and flour mix from Step 1. Don't overmix! Just until a smooth, glossy batter forms, ready for the oven. This is where the rich color starts to show."




Step 3: The 'Poke' and Pour
Ingredients & Quantities:
Boiling Water: 1 cup
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: 1 and 1/2 cups
Heavy Cream: 1 cup
(From Step 2): Baked cake, cooling

"Once the cake is baked (from the Step 2 batter) and slightly cool, I use the handle of my wooden spoon to poke uniform holes all over it. This is crucial for the saturation! Then, I gently pour a warm, rich ganache made from just semi-sweet chips and hot cream right over the top, letting it sink deep into those holes."



Step 4: The Final Gloss
Ingredients & Quantities:
Butter: 1/2 cup (1 stick)
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: 1/3 cup
Powdered Sugar: 3 cups
Whole Milk: 1/2 cup
Vanilla Extract: 1 teaspoon
(From Step 3): Saturated, chilled cake

"This is the finishing touch! For the ultimate gloss, I make a traditional cooked chocolate icing using butter, cocoa, powdered sugar, and milk. I pour it over the chilled saturated cake (from Step 3), creating that smooth, mirror-like surface you see. Then, we cut into that grid you planned, revealing the chocolate-soaked interior. This icing must be poured while it's warm to get that perfect finish. Enjoy!"